Wednesday 15 September 2010

Phew its finished

The painting 'Fizzywigs finest' below has been somewhat of a rollercoaster ride of feelings. The initial excitement of setting up the composition and drawing it up, the start of painting full of enthusiasm through to 'oh my god I cant stand looking at this anymore' to finally realising I was on the home straight and completing it today. Funnily most paintings follow this pattern as my head fills with ideas for upcoming paintings and I now know I must deal with this throughout every painting.
The title for the painting came about whilst in Brighton on a holiday weekend with my wife and parents. On the last morning myself and my dad stumbled across a sweetshop in the 'lanes' of Brighton named Fizzywigs. It was early and just before opening time but the owner kindly let us in to peruse the awesome selection of all things sweet and this was where I brought most of the props for the painting.
Now on to start another one....

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work Nick! I find the first layer of paint the most tedious if I'm rendering a lot of detail. After that things become more exciting as the subject begins to reveal itself. Always enjoy seeing what you've been up to.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you R.G. I must admit my paintings only consist of one maybe two layers as i tend to put down the exact colour mix and let it stand. Having said that I feel a little dissapointed sometimes as the colours can look a little pale. I really want to try layering as it gives strength and depth of colour but find myself battling with deadlines and economics. Thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work, and I can completely relate to the slog of getting through once you've started. I totally understand about the layering, too--it can really get time-consuming!

    I think your colors look really vibrant and I love the subject matter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carol, I appreciate your thoughts and kind words. My confidence has just been lifted again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, love the painting man. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to work in layers it might help to know that it generally takes around five tints and tones to render an object from light to dark. A reason why layering is so attractive is that dark paint over lighter tends toward warm and light over darker towards cool, which is also how light in nature works.

    You're good enough that it never occured to me that you didn't paint in glazes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much R.G, I think I will try it on a smaller painting and see how the overall look compares. Could be the start of a new way of working! will post the results when I get round to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw these new pieces at the Art Fair today. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete